Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Thanksgiving Countdown, Day 4: The Call(ing) of the Wild

I know it's late. It's been a long day. But, by George, I'm going to write this post!

I'm so grateful for my church calling.

For those who don't know, I'm the young women's president in my ward (it's what we Mormons call our assigned congregations, which are determined by where we live). I've never been an auxiliary president before, and I was more than a little nervous when the Bishop asked me to accept the calling. Being a president for the first time is nerve-wracking enough, but to be the young women's president, with all the extra activities, and camp, and sleepovers, and trying to teach and lead and inspire teenage girls.... Yeah, I was nervous.

Especially because I'm a huge, embarrassing nerd. Just ask my daughter.

Honestly, though, I was also excited. I've always wanted to work with the young women in some capacity, and I never had before. Yes, this was a big position for my first time working with the youth, but I already knew a lot of the girls in some small way, and I was positive that working with them every week was going to be awesome.

And you know what? It's even better than I thought it would be.

I sincerely love the girls I work with so much. I pray for them, and worry about them, and think about them on a regular basis. I rejoice when they succeed, and cry for them when things go wrong. I see how much incredible potential each one of them has, and it has literally given me chills on more than one occasion. These young ladies will change the world for the better. I have no doubt about that.

And, in some small way, I get to be part of their journey. It's an unbelievable honor.

I truly can't adequately express how grateful I am for this calling. I wouldn't trade it for any other. In a way, each of the young ladies I work with has become like a sister, a daughter, a friend. I love them beyond words. And I'm so blessed to be able to be a part of their lives.


No comments: