Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Thanksgiving Countdown, Day 18: Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch

There's no denying that Ben and I are very different people. I'm extroverted, he's introverted. I'm emotional, he's logical. I talk all the time (even when I'm alone), and he rarely talks at all.

That being said, we go together like cheese and sprinkles. He's the yin to my yang. Yang to my yin? I'm not sure, but in any case, he makes me a more complete person.

And in spite of our severely different personalities, we have an absurd amount of things in common, too. We read all the same kinds of books, enjoy the same kinds of movies and TV shows (for the most part), and listen to the same kinds of music (although Ben's taste in music is more varied than mine). We both quote movies in regular conversation, and were theater geeks in high school. We both enjoy ballroom dance. We have similar ideas on how to be a good parent, and how to be a good human being. We both sing and enjoy performing for other people.

It's kind of crazy how we're so different and so similar at the same time.

I think a lot of what makes us work as a couple is that we communicate. We listen to each other, and try to understand the other's point of view. We're willing to try new things together. We try to compromise. We always apologize when we do something wrong or stupid or hurtful. Ben is always willing to step outside his comfort zone to do things I want to do, and I'm always willing to give the things he wants to do a chance. 

What we really strive for, is to always put each other first. When both people in the relationship are selfless and really trying to make their partner happy, things tend to work out.


I'm really grateful that Ben and I both understand that, and that we actively work to put each other first. Because, as any married person can tell you, marriage isn't easy. It is hard work. But it's important to remember that the other person is worth it. Remember that you chose them, and they chose you. Keep making that choice every day.

I choose you, Ben. Even on the days that you drive me crazy, I choose you.

Thank you for choosing me back. :)

No comments: