Thursday, November 19, 2015

Thanksgiving Countdown, Day 19: Practicing My Craft

I'm not a very crafty person. My abilities pretty much just extend to napkin illustrations and costume makeup. If led very carefully though step-by-step instructions, I can make other things, like wooden pumpkins and thankful turkeys.

I've been trying to sew a little here and there, but I'm pretty much making it all up as I go along. I mostly just do it when it's necessary for a costume. I always have big plans to try other things, but I never seem to find the time.

I'm very grateful for my sewing machine and other craft supplies, however. Whenever occasion does rise that I need to make something, I usually can manage with the supplies I have!

This afternoon, we realized that tomorrow is Pilgrim Day at Evie's school. I was thinking she might want to just skip it, since we have literally nothing that would work for a pilgrim costume in a pinch, but she's dedicated to keeping her title as the Queen of Spirit Days.

So, since we were out and about anyway, we popped into Walmart and found a simple black dress and some white fabric. I spent less than $10 on the costume, which seemed pretty reasonable.

It only took me about an hour to whip up an apron and a pilgrim collar for her to wear with her black dress tomorrow. I didn't bother with a bonnet, though, mostly because I wouldn't even know where to begin with something like that. She's just going to have to make do with the floral pioneer bonnet she got in Nauvoo a couple of years ago.

Anyway, those of you who actually know something about sewing will probably say that it took way too long for such a basic project. Especially since I didn't even hem the collar. But, given my lack of prowess in the crafting arena, I feel pretty good about it!

I'm doing the stereotypical mom thing - whipping up a costume the night before - and I'm actually not failing miserably!

I'll post pictures on Facebook tomorrow, once she's in her costume. For tonight, I'm just grateful I didn't have to let my little girl down.

Reign on, Spirit Queen.

No comments: