Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving Countdown, Day 26: The Big Finish

We made it! Today is Thanksgiving. We got through yet another November of me writing about things I'm grateful for. Has it gotten old yet?

Thank you to everyone who stuck it out and read these, even the boring ones. It's always nice to be able to share my thoughts and feelings with those who care about me. It makes me feel like I'm connecting with people, even if they're far away.

For today's grand finale, I'm going to list twenty-six things I'm grateful for, in no particular order. It's kind of like at a fireworks show when they start off with one or two beautiful fireworks at a time, then finish the whole thing by lighting up all the ones they have left and filling the sky. It's a bit chaotic, and more than a little noisy, but it gives one heckuva finish.

1 - I'm thankful to live in a country that has a holiday set aside to specifically celebrate gratitude, even if it's often lost in the rush to get to Christmas. I know we're not the only country that has a Thanksgiving, but most countries don't. And while gratitude should ideally be practiced year-round, it's nice to have an annual reminder to count our blessings.

2 - I'm thankful for my Facebook friends. All of them are also real-life friends and family, but the majority of them live too far away to visit very often (if ever). It's great that we can still keep in touch, and I appreciate the love and support I get from those friends.

3 - I'm grateful that our dinner today turned out so great! We just cooked a turkey breast, rather than a whole turkey, since it's just the three of us. I'd never done it before, so I was nervous, but the turkey was super delicious. And I don't even usually like turkey! And Evie peeled and mashed the potatoes, which were awesome. We also had green bean casserole, rolls, and stuffing. And I got it all onto the table at almost the same time! It was truly a feat never before seen in the Fifield home (ours, at least).

4 - I'm thankful for the relationship I have with my daughter. While we were cooking today, she was singing "fork, fork, fork, fork-fork..." to the tune of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat," while I was chiming in with rhythmic "fork, fork, forks," in the background. It was absurd and delightful, and went on for a much longer time than was necessary. But that's just how we roll. And I love it!

5 - I'm grateful I got to do silly gratitude napkins for Evie's school lunches this month. It was such a fun challenge, and I really got my creative juices flowing. Some of my favorites were, "I'm thankful that T-Rexes didn't have tiny hind legs like a wiener dog," "I'm grateful that pancakes aren't carnivorous," and "I'm thankful that I've never given a monkey reason to throw poo at me... yet."



6 - I'm grateful for Ben's arms. They're my favorite. I also appreciate his broad shoulders. And his face. And "[his] legs, and right where [his] legs meet [his] back. That - actually that whole area. That and... and above it." All of him, really.

7 - I'm thankful that we get to put up our Christmas decorations tomorrow! Yay!

8 - I'm thankful for warm pajamas and fuzzy socks. It doesn't get that cold here, but it's definitely cold enough to give me just cause to snuggle down in my warmest, comfiest clothing.

9 - I'm thankful for my musical ability. I love singing, and being able to accompany myself on the piano when I sing makes it that much better. Plus I'm able to put those talents to good use, anytime someone needs a pianist at church, or someone to sing for a ward party or sacrament meeting. And it's one of my great joys to be able to perform in musical theater from time to time, especially when I get to perform with my equally-musically-talented husband! My musical talents are a gift that I will be eternally grateful for.



10 - I'm grateful for Evie's teachers. She's had such wonderful teachers throughout her years of school, and I feel certain that the trend will continue.

11 - I'm also grateful for all the teachers I know outside of Evie's personal education experiences. I'm blessed to have several in my family, and many more among my friends. They're some of the best, most selfless people in the world, and they deserve so much more than they earn. Hopefully they're getting extra blessings from Heavenly Father to make up for it. I'm sure He's grateful that they take such loving care of so many of His children.

12 - I'm grateful for my own education. Without it, I doubt I would have such a passion for books. I'd have a much harder time dealing with our bills and budgets. I'd be a terrible scorekeeper when we play Farkle. I wouldn't be able to play a piano, or sing nearly as well as I do. I wouldn't know how to explain to Evie what "high blood pressure" is. I wouldn't have an appreciation for the things people have dealt with in the past, or been able to learn from their mistakes. I certainly wouldn't be writing this blog. Education is such a gift. Not that I'll ever be able to convince my daughter of that fact...

13 - I'm thankful for our Tivo. Take that, commercials! Ain't nobody got time for that!

14 - I'm thankful to be more than halfway done with this list!

15 - I'm grateful that Ben doesn't have to be gone nearly as much now as he did when we were at Dyess AFB. He was literally gone at least half the time we lived there. It was awful. I'm strong enough to handle things at home on my own when he can't be here, but that doesn't mean I like doing it. Having him home is vastly superior. 



16 - I'm thankful for chocolate. In the Harry Potter books, they use it to help students feel better when they're in shock. It totally makes sense to me. Why don't they stock chocolate in more doctor's offices and hospitals?

17 - I'm grateful that Evie enjoys hearing me read out loud. I love reading to her, and I love how excited she gets about the books. I mean, just look at her Fablehaven birthday party, and her Hermione Granger Halloween costume! It's awesome.

18 - I'm grateful for uplifting news stories that stand as evidence that the human race is a pretty decent lot. It makes me happy to see that not all the news on TV and the internet is bad these days. That kind of thing can really make you cynical. Paying attention to the positive stories, however, helps you realize that people aren't so bad after all. 

19 - I'm thankful for friends who are just as insane as me, and who are willing to prove it through crazy antics. They're the ones who not only support me when I'm doing something weird, they're jumping right in and doing that weird stuff with me. They make me laugh, and they're always there for me when I need a friend. They bring me incredible joy.
      Juleigh, basically. I'm thankful for Juleigh. She's the one friend that I've ever had with whom I felt I could truly, fully be myself. I miss her every single day. 



20 - I'm thankful for chocolate-peanut butter ice cream. 

21 - I'm grateful that I can look up fantastic recipes online anytime I wonder how to make something. It's all right there! One Google search, and I can find a plethora of recipes. So many options! Which, of course, means I can be picky about which one I choose. It's great!

22 - I'm grateful that I have a personal relationship with God. I know who I am, I know why I'm here, and I know that I have value. I know He loves me. I know He's personally involved in my life. I have so much peace and joy that comes from that knowledge. 

23 - I'm thankful for my body. It's not perfect according to the world's standards, but I've realized lately that I'm perfectly okay with that. As long as I'm taking care of it (which I am), it's perfect enough. I'm happy with who I am and how I look. I'm comfortable in my own skin. That hasn't always been the case, and I'm so grateful that I finally can appreciate it for the miraculous gift it is.             My husband thinks it's pretty great, too. And if I like it, and he likes it, who else do I really need to impress???

24 - I'm thankful to have a plethora of extended family members and in-laws! I know that I will never be without family, and that Ben and Evie won't, either. No matter what happens to me, or to Ben, or to Evie, we will always have a loving support system to help us get through anything. That is such a gift. 



25 - I'm grateful to be an American. I've been to several foreign countries, and I have to say, this is absolutely the best country in the world. It's far from perfect, but we have so much more freedom and privilege than other places. Most of us don't even realize how completely blessed we are. Take my word for it - we are crazy lucky to be Americans. 

26 - I'm thankful that I'm more and more able to have an attitude of gratitude in everyday life! It takes effort, and practice, but it's something I'm learning. And I think I'm getting better at it. It's certainly helped me to see the world, and my life, in a more positive light. There's so much beauty all around us, if only we're willing to look for it. 

That's it for my gratitude posts for this year. But like Ah-nold, "I'll be back!"

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

You are awesome. I love reading your posts, especially when you push yourself to a goal with them. You have increased my thankfulness by sharing yours. Maybe we need a half thanksgiving in May to boost our gratitude again.