Wednesday, November 23, 2011

24 Days of Thanksgiving - Day Twenty-Three

I love my husband, and I think he's pretty much perfect. But today, I discovered one major flaw.

He thinks the movie, "The Tooth Fairy," isn't bad for a mediocre film.

But he's wrong. It's terrible.

Even so, I think I can look past that flaw. He did watch it for the first time on his deployment, after all, when he was far from home, bored, lonely, and probably a little bit crazy. So we'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the topic and just let it go.

He's worth it, after all. He's the handsomest, sweetest, most devoted husband on the planet.

I didn't always have such a high opinion of him, though. When we first started dating, I really only saw him as my ex-boyfriend's little brother.

Yes, I dated his older brother. It wasn't a long relationship, and we were mostly just good friends anyway, so no, it's not that big of a deal.

Anyway, because he was my ex's younger brother, and because he was younger than me (by 11 months), I didn't take him too seriously. I just thought of him as kind of a nerdy kid.

Yeah, he's still kind of nerdy. But I love it. :)

In my defense, he was incredibly nerdy. He still is, as a matter of fact. He loves science fiction and fantasy, he's good at math, he stands with his feet in third position like a ballet dancer whenever he's just standing around talking to people, he does musical theater (and does it well!), he ballroom dances,  he was in marching band in high school and college, he enjoys watching ballet, he doesn't care much about sports (except soccer), and when we first met, back when I was dating his brother, Ben wore cargo shorts with a hawaiian-print shirt, knee socks, sneakers, and a fishing hat.

He sounds dreamy, huh? ;)

It was a few years later that we started dating, and none of that had really changed. Although because he had been on a mission for a few years, his clothing options were even more limited, and he truly had no clothes that fit him correctly.

He was sweet, though, and handsome once you got past his clothes, so I agreed to go out with him.

I also took him shopping.

To my surprise, he cleaned up very well! He looked so handsome in his new, properly-fitting clothes that my heart sped up a little.


Still, I had my doubts that our relationship would go anywhere. I still was thinking of him as my ex's little brother, I guess, rather than as a man.

Imagine my surprise when, after just a few dates, he asked me to be his girlfriend.

I tentatively decided to give it a try. I had enjoyed my time with him, although it had been awkward at times, so I thought it was worth a shot.

Then, a few days after that, he dropped the bomb on me.

"We're either going to break up or get married. Why don't we figure out which one it is?"

Clearly, we're made for each other

Have you ever heard anything so romantic?

But somehow, possibly because he had caught me so off guard, I agreed to fast and pray about it with him.

We spent a lot of our day together that day, just talking and getting to know each other more. Finally he had forced me to see him, not as my ex's little brother, but as a man who was considering proposing to me.

And I was considering accepting.

Over the course of our conversation, we found ourselves sharing memories and explaining traditions our families had for Christmas. As we talked about those traditions, I realized we were discussing how we would incorporate those traditions into our own family, with our own children.

I realized that I had my answer.

The thought of us celebrating Christmas together, creating our own traditions, felt right. It was so easy, comfortable, and natural. It felt like the most obvious thing in the world.

Acting out the Nativity

A little while later, Ben went home. After he was gone, I found myself growing giddy and excited. I knew that I had my answer, and that Ben and I were going to get married. He had no idea that I'd received my answer, so I was the only one who knew I would be getting engaged soon.

I had to tell someone!!!!


So I ran down the hall to my friend's apartment. I guess that means that, officially, she knew about it even before the groom did.

Funnily enough, the same thing happened when I found out I was pregnant with Evie. Ben wasn't home, so I ran next door and told my friend. Poor Ben. He should really be the first to know these things, but he's been cursed with a wife who can't keep a secret!

The next day we got back together, and discussed the results of our fasting and prayer. Of course, we were on the same page. There was no ring, no date, no kind of official plan yet... but there was a commitment.

We were engaged.

And I haven't seen him as my ex's little brother since. At least, not for more than the occasional very strange second or two.

Halloween 2011

He's not so nerdy to me anymore, either. All of those "nerdy" aspects are just... Ben. They're just part of who he is. And I love him more than life itself, so all of those nerdy traits have become endearing.

Let's face it, he has plenty of "cool" in him, too. He's a freaking Air Force pilot, for crying out loud! And he's planning to go to med school and become a doctor. And he's good at video games, great at composing music and picking out harmonies, he can play the guitar and the drums, he's a great singer and actor, he sometimes runs a 10k every day just for fun, he's an incredible husband and father, and he's insanely handsome.

And, for some inexplicable reason, he's madly in love with me. I know without a doubt that he would literally do anything for me. And I also know without a doubt that he will never leave me. We will be together forever.


Ben is the ultimate proof that God loves me. No matter how good I've been in my life, there's no way I could have been good enough to deserve a husband like Ben. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to be that good.

But somehow he ended up in my life, and fell in love with me. Of all the girls in the world, Ben fell in love with me!!! It doesn't make sense! All I can figure is that God must love me a whole lot, to have given me Ben.

I love you, Ben. You're my heart, my soul, my universe.


And let's face it - I'm totally a sucker for nerdy guys. :)

No comments: