Monday, November 7, 2011

24 Days of Thanksgiving - Day Seven

I'm grateful for my talents.

Everyone has talents, of course, but some are more obvious than others. I've known several people who insisted that they didn't have any talents, when in fact they were incredibly talented. Their talents just tended to be less flashy than those one typically thinks of when hearing the word "talent."

My sister, for example, has always had a huge talent for empathy. In a world where people are frequently indifferent to the plights of those around them, she's had an amazing ability to understand exactly how people are feeling. Along with that, she has a talent for compassion, which drives her to reach out and try to help those who are hurting.

That is an impressive talent.

My talents, for the most part, are the more obvious kind. I don't have such a strong gift for empathy as my sister, or the kind of talent for patience that my incredible mother has. Mine are more trite and cliche, but I'm grateful for them all the same.

Backstage during The Scarlet Pimpernel. I'm rocking the
powdered wig on the far right.
The most obvious one, I think, is that I have a gift for music. It doesn't go as deep as it might for some people - like my husband, who can play about ten different musical instruments, composes music, has perfect pitch and sings beautifully to top it off - but I'm pretty good with a piano, and I definitely have some singing ability. I've won a singing competition or two in my day, played many parts in stage musicals, and I sing special musical numbers frequently in church. I've even been paid to sing a few times, so I suppose that technically makes me a "professional" singer.

I love singing, and I'm grateful that I can play the piano well enough to accompany myself. It makes things a lot easier, that's for sure! And my musicality makes me useful at church, too. I'm happy that I can use my talent to benefit others.

Hair and makeup by Cassie! ;)
Another gift I have is with hair and makeup. I'm not a professional in that field by any means, but I've always been a bit experimental with hairstyles and makeup. It's been going on since I was a child. Over the years, I've learned lots of tricks and techniques that work well. Combine that with my flair for theatrics (musical theater, remember?), and I've come up with some pretty dramatic looks.

My theory is that some people are born naturally pretty, and others are born with the gift to make themselves appear pretty in spite of their flaws. ;) Obviously, I think I'm in the latter category. I'm able to trick people into thinking I'm prettier than I am because I know how to wield a curling iron and mascara brush.

Me during my blonde phase. I kind of like it!
For those who don't have a talent for makeup and hair, and don't think they're pretty, I assure you that you're wrong. Everyone is beautiful. And if you feel that you need makeup and hair abilities to bring out your own natural beauty, there's no reason you can't learn it! The trick is to put focus on your most flattering features. And to remember that God created you, He loves you, and He made you the way you are because He thinks you're gorgeous that way! Confidence is the most important key to looking beautiful. If you feel that you're beautiful, and love yourself, others will too.

I'm also grateful for new talents that I'm developing now.

When I was in high school, I took a photography class. The cameras were old and mostly broken, and I had a heck of a time getting any decent pictures. That class is the class that kept me off of the honor roll that year, because I couldn't manage more than a C-.

Since then, though, I've learned a lot more about photography. I think I've always had an eye for what would look good - maybe it's an aesthetic thing that ties in with my hair/makeup talent? - but never had a camera that could deliver it well.

A photo shoot with my hubby and brother-in-law.  They
were having some fun with the fact that Ben outranks Michael.
Now, though, we have digital cameras that take fabulous pictures with very little effort! I've also gotten a little better at photography in general, but let's face it, the digital cameras make a huge difference.

My talents in photography have developed to the point where over the years I've taken family pictures, bridals, wedding reception photos, graduation pictures, and yearly pictures of children for friends and family. I even worked as a photographer at Sears portrait studio for a while when I was first married!

I'm at the point where I feel confident enough in my abilities to offer my services to the public. I especially hope to be able to take Christmas card photos for people this year, and maybe earn a little extra money for Christmas. I'm not charging much, because let's be honest, I'm not a professional photographer. But I do a pretty good job, and I have some Photoshop ability as well. People can come to me and get really nice pictures for very cheap.

I'm excited to be starting a new venture, and further developing a talent that I wasn't really born with.

I wonder how many more talents I'll unearth over the years?

From my daughter's 5-year-old birthday pictures.
Thank you, Heavenly Father, for giving us talents. I hope that I can use my talents to bless and uplift others!

What are your talents? I'd love to hear about them! And don't tell me you don't have any, because I know for a fact that everyone does! :)

No comments: