Tuesday, November 8, 2011

24 Days of Thanksgiving - Day Eight

I read an article last week that talked about a mysterious force that encourages people to make decisions contrary to what they would normally do. Obeying the mystery force often meant that the person was kept out of a dangerous situation, were able to help themselves or someone else, or had some strangely good fortune.

The author had no idea what to call this force. I found it kind of amusing, myself, because of course I already knew exactly what she was talking about. To my delight, many people in the comments section knew the answer, too.

"It's called 'the holy spirit'," they said.

I'm grateful for the Spirit. I can't recall any time when I had any life-changing, mind-blowing experience where the Spirit kept me or my loved ones safe from danger or anything like that. But I've definitely felt the Spirit, and seen firsthand results of following its promptings.

The Spirit is how God communicates with us. We pray to God, and the Spirit guides us to the answer with quiet, gentle promptings. We may feel joy or peace when we're on the right track. Guilt or dread may set in when we're making poor choices. And every once in a while, we may have a thought - seemingly out of nowhere - that changes our course.

I always pray before making any major life decisions. I want the path of my life to be one that God wants for me. He has a plan for me. There's a purpose to my existence. And I want to live my life in complete accordance with His will. Obviously, this means I consult Him on every important decision.

When I was a senior in high school, I had to choose what university I wanted to attend the next year. One of my choices was a fine arts college in my home state of Virginia, with a hugely successful musical theater department. It was close to home, had a 90% Broadway success rate for its graduates, and had offered me a scholarship.

Then, there was BYU. It was far from home, but close to extended family. The people there were of my same faith. But they hadn't even accepted me into the musical theater program, much less offered me any kind of scholarship. I would have to pay my own way completely, and fight for a spot in my program.

I prayed a lot about my decision. I had always wanted to go to BYU, but I also wanted to be a musical theater performer and teacher. The school in Virginia was a straight shot to that goal. So I was a little bit torn.

In the end, I settled on BYU. It felt right. I knew that was the Spirit's way of telling me where I belonged.

I'd like to say that I got into the musical theater program, graduated with honors, married a handsome man and was successful in every way. But the truth is, I was never accepted into the program. The competition was so stiff that basically the only people accepted were those with an "in" on the committee making the cuts. I didn't know anyone in the musical theater program faculty. I was never accepted.

My efforts to get into my program consumed my first three or four years of college. I studied dance, acting, and voice. I got several GE credits out of the way, too, but my main focus was on getting into my program. So, when I wasn't accepted (and was no longer able to audition anymore, because I had too many credits), I had four years of college under my belt and nothing to show for it. I would have to start over somewhere else.

My roommate, Layne, and I;
freshman year of college.
The criteria that prevented me from auditioning further in the musical theater program also prevented me from pursuing an acting or vocal performance major. Everything I was interested in, and talented in, was closed to me.

I was at a complete loss. I halfheartedly attempted a History major, but with little love or enthusiasm for it.

Then, I started dating Ben. We got engaged, got married, and got pregnant within a year and a half.

I quit school in order to work full time so that Ben could finish school. We had our daughter, struggled for a year or two while Ben got his degree (and commissioned in the Air Force), then left the state for pilot training.

I never got into my program. I never finished college. My prayers from senior year hadn't led where I thought they would. But I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Spirit was guiding my decision, and that I made the right choice.

On BYU campus

Had I attended the school in Virginia, I may have become a successful Broadway performer. But I never would have met my gorgeous husband. I might have had a career I loved, but I wouldn't have my beautiful little girl. Maybe I would have become famous - who knows? But I wouldn't have ended up living in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Texas. I wouldn't have developed any of the friendships I made in those places. My life would be completely different, and probably nowhere near as happy. Applause is nice, but love and family are better.

As far as I'm concerned, my life is a success story.

We can't always understand why we're on the path we're on. But when we've got the Spirit guiding us, we can feel confident that we are, in fact, where we're supposed to be.

Life frequently doesn't make sense from our limited perspectives. We don't have the ability to see the big picture. But God does. He knows exactly what He's doing. He knows where He's leading us. And He knows how to shape us into the people He intends for us to be.

By following the guidance of the Spirit, we're able to move forward along life's path with confidence. No matter how difficult a decision or situation may be, we can listen to the still, small voice speaking to us in our hearts. It will help us know what to do. And by obeying that voice, our lives are blessed with incredible joy.


Ben is currently thinking about becoming a doctor (on top of being a pilot!). It's a big decision. It would mean taking four years out of his career progression, and going from a Captain back to a 2nd Lieutenant. It would mean another seven years of service committed to the Air Force. It would mean having Ben's salary frozen where it is, with none of the usual pay raises to help us as our family grows.

Ben is taking all of that into account. But more importantly, he's praying about it, and letting the Spirit help him make his decision. Despite the inconveniences involved, Ben is determined to go where God wants him to go. And because I know he's letting the Spirit guide his decisions, I will support whatever choice he makes one hundred percent.

The Spirit truly is God's way of speaking to us, and I'm grateful to be able to lead my life the way He wants me to. I know that by following His guidance, I'll have more joy in my life than I could ever find on my own.

I'm grateful to have a husband who works to live his life according to God's will.

And I'll forever be grateful that the Spirit led me to BYU; so I could meet Ben, fall in love with him, and be sealed to him for eternity.

The Idaho Falls temple, on the day
Ben and I were married.

1 comment:

Chris said...

You mean God and the Spirit don't communicate their will onto pieces of burnt toast or misshaped Wheaties flakes? lol