Friday, November 18, 2011

24 Days of Thanksgiving - Day Eighteen

Say hello to my little friend.



Her name is Juleigh. She's a little loony, fairly funny, and all-around awesome.

I already dedicated a blog post to her, way back when we were first becoming friends, but she's definitely one of the things I'm most thankful for, so she gets another post! Lucky girl.

Our first Sunday in Abilene, we went to church. Because that's what we do. And guess who gave a talk that day! Yup, it was Juleigh.

My first impression of her was that she was very pretty, very mature, and way too cool for the likes of me. But she did mention in her talk that they had just moved there themselves, so I thought maybe we could become friends. Neither of us knew anyone else, after all.



A couple of weeks later, we ended up sitting next to each other in class. She introduced herself, and mentioned that her husband was our home teacher. It was a short, polite conversation, but I could sense that she was as lonely for friends in Abilene as I was. I could tell there was potential for friendship. I went home that day and told Ben that I had the feeling that I was going to become friends with the girl I sat next to in class.

Turns out, she went home and said the same thing to her husband! Already our minds were becoming one!

It still took us a little while to really get our friendship going. I think it's because I was intimidated by her. As I said, she was very pretty, very cool, and seemed very mature. I'm just a goofy, chubby kid. So even though I wanted to be friends, I was very worried that she would basically roll her eyes and laugh at me.



We got to know each other bit by bit through church and playgroups. We friended each other on Facebook, and were able to get to know each other a little more.

Then, one day, she started chatting with me on Facebook. I don't remember much about the conversation, except that it was long, goofy, and funny. I was giggling like a little girl the whole time I chatted with her, with a big, nerdy grin on my face.

And the rest is history.

Yes, I am aware of how insane I look in this picture. 

I immediately knew that this was a friendship that would last for a long time. And after just one conversation, I felt like I had a new best friend. Abilene didn't seem quite so bleak and lonely anymore. And somehow, incredibly, I got the impression that she liked me as much as I liked her! Crazy, right???

We've been kind of inseparable ever since. We do crafts, throw parties, go shopping, do makeovers, have dinners, watch general conference, babysit each other's kids, chat online, hang out, and do a million other things together.

Dressed up for Boo at the Zoo


Our poor husbands have kind of been forced into a friendship with each other, because that's the only way they ever get to hang out with us. It's okay, though, because they get along well. And let's face it, it's not just women who need friends.

Juleigh is the best friend I've had in a long time, possibly ever. Part of me worries that once we move away from each other things will fizzle out. That's happened with a lot of my friendships over the years. And I hate to think that I might lose Juleigh as a friend.

At Evie's farm-themed birthday party


But if my gut feeling is right, we really with be friends forever. I can totally imagine us living in side-by-side mansions in heaven. This isn't the kind of friendship that you just forget about and leave behind.

Juleigh is the kind of friend who comes along about once in a century or so. I truly love her like a sister. I totally want to take her home to meet my parents! And, as a matter of fact, I'm going to! We're planning a trip to visit my family in Uruguay next year! My only concern there is that my parents will like Juleigh more than they like me.

Not that I'd blame them. ;)

At the Fall Fest ward activity, ready to give
Brother Woods a pie in the face!


I'm so incredibly grateful for Juleigh, and for her friendship, that there truly aren't sufficient words. I was dreading living in Abilene, because it was so far from my family, and Ben was going to be gone so much with the military. But as it turns out, I'm one hundred percent grateful that I moved here, because I never would have met Juleigh otherwise.

Thanks for being my friend, Juleigh. You're the best. :)

No comments: