Thursday, November 17, 2011

24 Days of Thanksgiving - Day Seventeen

Today, I'd like to talk about all the friends that have blessed my life.

Obviously, I can't talk about every single person I've ever had the honor of calling my friend, because that would take forever! But I can talk about what they've meant to me.

I've lived all over the world, which means that I've had the privilege of getting to know many, many different people. I didn't get along with everybody I met, of course, but the majority of the people I got to know became friends.

Friends are so important. No matter how wonderful your family may be, or how many talents you have, or how much you enjoy solitary activities (like reading), life isn't complete without friends.

Everyone needs someone they can talk to, laugh with, and lean on. Family may fill this position for a lot of people, but what happens when it's your family that's driving you crazy? You need a friend who's outside the situation, who can lend some perspective.

Plus, you can be a different, better version of yourself with your friends. Every time you make a new friend, you get a chance to make a new impression. You can put your best foot forward. They don't know what mistakes you've made. They don't know your darkest secrets. They don't have any memories of you doing embarrassing things as a child. It's a clean slate!

The best friends, of course, learn about all those secrets and memories as time goes by and they get to know you better. And the very best friends don't care about your flaws. In fact, sharing those flaws with each other makes your relationship stronger.

Most of my friends are the kind from whom I hide my very worst flaws. They don't know me as well as my family and closest friends do. This is probably because I move so often that I never have the time to develop deeper relationships. I value those friends, and I'm grateful for them, but our friendship isn't the kind that usually brings meaningful change to one another's lives.

I do have a few friends, though, that have changed my life. I talked about most of them in depth two years ago at Thanksgiving, so I'm sure they know who they are. I also have a new friend who has become one of the best friends I've ever had, but she'll get her own post tomorrow. ;)

The best kind of friend is the kind that makes you a better person. They build you up when you're down. They're aware of what's going on in your life, and support you in whatever you're doing. They give you good advice when you're lost, and are grateful for the advice you give in return. They keep you from doing anything blatantly stupid, and help you recover when you're stubborn enough to do that stupid thing anyway. They forgive you when you're at your worst, and love you in spite of your flaws. And even if you move far away, when you see each other again it's like you were never apart.

I know that a large part of who I am today is because of the friendships I have had in my life. I'm so grateful for my friends and for the roles they have played in helping me grow as a person.

This blog is for you, guys! You're the best! I love you all!

No comments: