Sunday, November 6, 2011

24 Days of Thanksgiving - Day Six

Today in church we discussed Dieter F. Uchtdorf's talk from this past Relief Society general broadcast. His talk was called "Forget Me Not," and for those who haven't heard or read the talk already, you can read it here.

This talk touched me when I first heard it, and if anything, it's become more powerful the more I've pondered what President Uchtdorf said.

There's one quote from the talk in particular that sums up today's Thanksgiving topic pretty perfectly. It says, "No matter how dark your days may seem, no matter how insignificant you may feel, no matter how overshadowed you think you may be, your Heavenly Father has not forgotten you. In fact, He loves you with an infinite love.

"Just think of it: You are known and remembered by the most majestic, powerful, and glorious Being in the universe! You are loved by the King of infinite space and everlasting time!

"He who created and knows the stars, knows you and your name!"

I'm so incredibly grateful for God's love. I can only comprehend a fraction of it, yet I know the reality of it.

He blesses me every day in dozens of unseen, frequently unnoticed ways. I take most of those blessings for granted, not because I don't appreciate them, but because He blesses me on such a constant basis that I don't always realize that it's happening!

Do I deserve His love? Probably not. I'm such an imperfect, insignificant creature that there's no conceivable reason for God to even notice me, much less feel any kind of affection for me. But the thing is, God isn't just an uncaring being with unlimited power. He's also my creator. He's the father of my spirit. And therefore, to Him, I not only matter, but I'm loved beyond comprehension.

This is true for each and every one of us. I weep for people who curse God, blame Him for their misfortunes, or accuse Him of being indifferent or cruel. These people don't really understand who God is, and the nature of His relationship with them. They don't realize that He loves them, and is often pouring out blessings on their heads that they're not even noticing.

Why are people so quick to blame God for the bad things in life, yet slow to give Him any credit for the good?

God loves me. I don't deserve it, but I know that it's true all the same. I'm so grateful for that love, and I hope to live my life in such a way that He will not only love me, but be proud of me as well.

Another father who loves his daughter more than she comprehends. :)

No comments: