Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Call of the Wild (Relief Society)

Today, I'm very grateful for my calling at church.

For those who don't know what I mean by "calling," it's what we call the job each of us performs at church. Our church is run by volunteers from the congregation. We do all the jobs ourselves - our leadership, teachers, librarian, activity coordinators, even cleaning the church is all done by members of the congregation. There's no paid clergy.

What happens is, each person is asked to take on a particular responsibility - their "calling." Sometimes you can even have more than one. I'm the organist, and I also serve in the presidency over the women.

Callings can change, too, depending on where you're needed. I've been a teacher, a pianist, a primary chorister (working with the kids), on an activities committee, etc. And now I'm in a leadership calling (for the second time).

Working in any calling has its rewards. Before this current calling, I was teaching songs to the children. That was so fun. Their sweet spirits and fun personalities just made it all kinds of fun.

I really am grateful for my current calling, too, though. Being in the Relief Society presidency (the RS being the women's organization) means I get to know the ladies at church on a deeper level. I get to make more personal connections with them. I hear about what's going on in their lives, and have more opportunities to serve them.

Today I got to teach the lesson at church. We talked about gratitude (because it's November and I got to pick the topic ;)). There was a lot of interaction and discussion. I got to hear wonderful stories from the sisters, and we all got to think a little bit about the amazing blessings we have in our lives.

I felt so much love for all of the ladies as they shared their experiences and testimonies. They're incredible women, and I'm fortunate to be able to work with all of them.

I'm happy to serve wherever the Lord needs me. I know firsthand that we're blessed for our service. And I'm excited to take on this new calling, and hopefully learn and grow from it. :)

No comments: