Monday, November 4, 2013

Globe Trotting

I was thinking today about all of the amazing places I've had the chance to visit. I actually sat down and made a list of the places I've been (whether I was living there or just visiting). It's pretty immense. I'm very lucky to have been able to travel the world.
The White House, Washington DC

Monterey, California
Here's the list as far as I can recall. I'm sure there are several places I'm leaving out, but these are the ones I can remember at the moment:

Orem, Utah (where I was born, and actually, where my daughter was also born!)
Denver, Colorado
Omaha, Nebraska
Idaho Falls, ID
Monterey, California
Woodbridge, Virginia
Washingon D.C.
Bucharest, Romania
Baltimore, Maryland
Myrtle Beach, North Carolina
New York, New York
London, England
Various castles all over England
The Isle of Wight
Wales
Scotland
Paris and Rennes, France
El Salvador
Guatemala
Costa Rica
Buford, Wyoming
Tri-Cities area, Washington
Bucharest, Romania
Las Vegas, Nevada
Santa Monica pier in LA, California
Napa, CA
Anaheim, CA
Disney World!
Huntington Beach, CA
Albuquerque, NM
Island Park, ID
West Yellowstone, Montana 
Yellowstone
Salt Lake City, UT
Park City, UT
Montgomery, Alabama
Pensacola, Florida
Tennessee
Branson, Missouri
Enid, OK
Oklahoma City, OK
Tulsa, OK
Little Rock, Arkansas
Nauvoo, Illinois
Abilene, TX
San Antonio, TX
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
Orlando, Florida

Acting competition in Costa Rica
Montgomery, Alabama
Obviously there are also a lot of places I've been in the surrounding areas of those places, too. I've been all over Utah Valley, for example. But I just put the ones that were more recognizable, or that had meaning for me.

In case it isn't obvious, I've been moving around all my life. My dad was in the military, so we lived all over the country. Then, when I was twelve, he joined the state department and we started moving all over the world.

The mountains of Idaho

My parents' list is even more impressive than my own. They've lived in/visited several more places than me, including various countries in Africa, Uruguay, Egypt, Russia, etc.


I'm very jealous.


With a friend in San Salvador, El Salvador
I love traveling. As a kid, I hated that we moved so often. But I can definitely see how it's improved me as a person to have so many different experiences. Being immersed in so many different cultures really helps you gain perspective and empathy for all kinds of people.

London, England
Now, I myself am married to a military man. So far, our travels have taken us a whole lot of very UN-exotic places, such as Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Texas. They certainly have their charms, but I really want to see more of the world. I'm hoping we get to live in Germany or Japan after we leave Texas. (Especially Germany! Fingers crossed!)
Little Rock, Arkansas



I've become the kind of person who gets restless when they're in one place for too long. The only reason I'm not insane after three whole years in Abilene is that the people here are fantastic. If it weren't for them - especially my best friend, Juleigh - I would be tearing my hair out from being stuck in one place.

I'm grateful that God has blessed me with the chance to experience so much of the world. Every place you go is unique, and each one has something special to offer. It hasn't always been fun, moving around so much, but I can definitely look back on my life and see how each new place has helped shape who I am.
Pensacola, Florida

And I'm pretty awesome. ;)

Just kidding. But seriously, if you get the chance to travel, take it! 

You won't regret it!



My bros and I in Park City, UT

No comments: