Sunday, February 15, 2009

Daniel vs. the Skandar

I watched The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe today. I haven't done that in awhile, and it was great. I'd forgotten how much I love that movie. My family watched it together for family home evening, and tried to explain to Evie about all the symbolism in it.

I especially love the symbolism concerning Aslan and him sacrificing his life on Edmund's behalf. The way its portrayed in the movie is especially poignant for me. Edmund makes one small mistake after another. He has one lapse in judgment after another. He makes bad choices, one after another. He's never intentionally malicious, he's never evil, but he ends up in the witch's clutches all the same. It takes Aslan's sacrifice to save him, to make him clean.

This is so true to life. While yes, there are a few people out there in the world who could be considered "evil", most of us are merely human. Just like Edmund. We're basically good people, but even the best people make mistakes. If we didn't have a Savior to pay for our sins, we would be trapped just as surely as Edmund was. The movie makes this point without being heavy-handed or obvious. It hits very close to home, and rings very true.

This movie moves me to tears for this reason, but also for another. The actor who plays Edmund, Skandar Keynes, looks a LOT like my little brother, Daniel. So watching what he goes through, and watching Aslan, the "savior" character, die for him... it gets me every time. It makes it all more personal for me.

I absolutely adore Edmund. Growing up, reading the books, I didn't feel that strongly about him one way or the other. But now, because the actor looks like my baby brother, I love him. Edmund has become, by far, my favorite character.

This feeling was only strengthened by Prince Caspian where, to my delight, Edmund seemed even more like my brother. His mannerisms and body language as well as his face, reminded me of Daniel. Every funny line he had was that much funnier. And whenever he did something brave I felt weirdly proud of him.

See for yourself:


Daniel's a little hairier, a little tanner, and has a bigger, more rounded nose. Skandar has a better picture for one thing, it being professional and all, but he also looks younger, paler, and has a more pointed nose. They may not be twins, but I think they could definitely be brothers. And with their similar mannerisms, the resemblance is enhanced. That's my opinion, at least.

So now I know that every time I watch The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe I'll find myself exceptionally grateful all over again for Christ's sacrifice. I'm so grateful that He died to save me, as well as my super-awesome, adorable little brother. And I'm personally very glad they picked this actor, specifically, to play Edmund.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha im prettier

Cass said...

True, but he's still cute. Kuz he looks like YOU! :)

Fabiane Snell said...

Hey girl! how are you doing? since I did not receive your weekly letter this week, I decided to pass by and say hello! IT is AMERICAN IDOL NIGHT! YEAH!!! WE MISS YA!