Friday, February 20, 2009

Clarence and the Beast-That-Wasn't-Really, Part 3

We last left our "heroes" as they were preparing for their journey to the (kind of) Beast's castle. As we rejoin them, they have finished their trip and are standing outside the gate, waiting...

"Huh." snorted Clarence. "It's not much to look at, is it?"

Marvin gritted his teeth. "It's a castle, Clarence. Royalty lives there. You're going to be a queen. Isn't that enough?"

"Clearly, I'm going to have to make a few changes around here. The whole place looks dark, dingy, and dirty. Someone is going to have to clean it. And what's with all the fish? Disgusting creatures. The second I become queen, we're going to tear this place down and start from scratch. I deserve better than this!" Clarence tossed her dark hair over her shoulder, and sighed impatiently. "Where is the servant? We've been standing here for hours!"

"It's only been ten minutes." Marvin informed her.

"Well, it feels like hours to me! I shouldn't be kept waiting, anyway. I am going to be the queen, after all!"

Marvin rolled his eyes - but discreetly, so Clarence couldn't see. No sense making their last moments together any worse than they already were.

Clarence squinted toward the castle. "What on earth is that thing coming towards us? It looks like an enormous dandelion..."

"Ah." Marvin smiled. "That would be the servant coming to open the gate. There's no need for me to stick around now, I suppose. I'll just be going, then!"

Marvin bolted away, at an impressive speed for a man of his age and pudginess. He giggled gleefully to himself as he ran. "At last! She's gone! Not my problem anymore! Huzzah!"

He was still laughing when he ran full-on into a tree.

"Oof!" Marvin grunted. Winded, he lay on his back, staring up at the tree branches. A smile crept slowly across his face. "I'm free! I'm free!"

"I say!" said the tree, concerned. "Are you all right?"

Marvin grinned, not even concerned that he was having a conversation with a plant. "Honestly? I've never felt better!"

Gingerly, but still smiling, he got to his feet and began the long journey home.

**********

Well, that was rude! thought Clarence, watching the spot where her father had disappeared into the forest. You'd think he was eager to be rid of me, or something. I didn't even know he could move that fast...

Sighing, Clarence turned her attention to the servant coming towards her. He was almost to the gate. It's about time! she thought impatiently.

Suddenly a sense of dread washed over her. For the first time in her life, Clarence was uncertain. What if this Beast was intending to devour her? Or worse - what if he didn't want her at all?

Clarence shook her head. Nonsense. Any man would be lucky to have her for his wife. Clarence pushed aside her feelings of doubt and insecurity, burying them deep beneath her huge ego.

"You there!" she called to the servant. "Hurry up! At the rate you're moving, by the time you get here I'll be old and decrepit, like you!"

Clarence squared her shoulders, raised her chin, and prepared to meet her future.

**********

The first thing Clarence noticed was that the ocean theme was, apparently, not reserved to the outdoors. The interior of the castle was huge and magnificent, but fish still reigned supreme. A golden fountain in the shape of a carp, spitting water into the air, dominated most of the front hall. The golden chandelier over her head appeared to have little glass seahorses dangling from it. The wooden banisters were carved into the shape of entwined eels. The silk wallpaper appeared, at first, to be a simple blue and green, but when Clarence looked closely, she saw that there were tiny fish embroidered all over it, as well. Even the rooms were labeled with aquatic names: "Lionfish Library"; "Devil Ray Dining Room"; "Carp Conservatory"; "Bass Bathroom"... it went on and on.

Clarence rolled her eyes. She was definitely going to have to give this castle a makeover.

The servant cleared his throat. "May I show you to your rooms, my lady?"

"I think you'd better. Otherwise I'm going to go mad from looking at all these stupid fish!"

The old man looked shocked. "Madam, I'm going to have to ask that you be more respectful of the master's castle!"

Clarence snorted. "I don't see why. This place is atrocious! The Beast clearly had no taste."

The elderly servant shook his head slowly. "I think we should, perhaps, skip going to your room, and go straight to the dining room. The master will meet you there. Maybe once you're better acquainted with him, you'll have a little more respect for his belongings."

"I doubt that." Clarence laughed, crossing the hall to the dining room.

She opened the door and peered into the room. It was dark inside. A few lighted candles flicked shadows across the table, lessening the gloom slightly. An enormous aquarium lined one wall, adding its own eerie light to the room. Menacing shadows climbed the walls, and the corners of the room were completely black.

Clarence shuddered, her courage momentarily derailed, as she examined the dining room. Who knew what corner the Beast might be lurking in?

The servant reached over her shoulder and flicked on the light switch. The room was instantly bathed in light.

"Right." said Clarence, trying to hide her embarrassment. "I was just about to do that."

"Make yourself comfortable." the servant said. "I'll be back momentarily."

Clarence eased into the room, looking for the Beast. She didn't see anyone, so she settled into a chair to wait for his arrival.

Movement within the gigantic aquarium caught her eye. An enormous goldfish was swimming inside. It was bigger than Clarence. It peered at her with one wide, cold eye as it swam past.

Clarence shuddered. This fish thing is out of control, she thought. The second I say "I do", things are going to change. And that monstrosity will be the first thing to go!

"Disgusting creature!" she shot at the fish, turning her back on it.

"I was thinking the same thing."

Clarence spun around. The room was empty, but she could have sworn she heard a deep, rich voice insult her.

"Those skinny twig legs, that stringy hair... You're absolutely repulsive!"

Clarence was still bewildered, but now she was furious as well. "Brave words, coming from someone who doesn't even have the guts to say these things to my face!"

Laughter echoed through the room. "You are thick, aren't you? I'm right in front of your eyes, moron!"

Shaking with fury, Clarence scanned the room again. There was nothing there, nothing! Only chairs, candles, that stupid aquarium-

She froze. Slowly, her eyes locked on the gargantuan goldfish. Its eye was focused directly on her, as if judging her.

"NO!" shrieked Clarence. "YOU??? YOU'RE the Beast???"

"Not really" the fish replied. "The term 'beast' suggests something much hairier."

"I can't marry you! I won't! I refuse!" Clarence screamed.

"Frankly, my dear," the fish rolled its eye, "I don't give a dam. Honestly, I'd rather not marry you, either. But rules are rules, after all. There's a precedent for these things, or so I'm told. And I've already paid for you, so I suggest you shut up and deal with it."

Clarence stared, open-mouthed, at the fish. No one had ever before dared to speak to her like this. Who does he think he is? Clarence thought, furiously. He's just a stupid fish! Then something clicked in her head. This fish wasn't JUST a fish. He was a prince, under an enchantment! If she agreed to marry him...

"All right," said Clarence, "I'll do it. I'll marry you. Let's do it right now, in fact." No sense wasting time, she thought. The sooner he's a prince again, the better.

"Fine." the fish replied. "I'll call in the wizard. He'll take care of things, and then we can have the wedding."

Moments later, the old servant appeared, this time wearing a pointed cap over his fluffy hair. He brandished a crooked wand. "Are we ready, then?" he asked.

"Yes." answered the Beast (who-wasn't-really). "Go ahead and turn her into a fish."

Clarence jerked. "What???" she screeched. "No! I'm not turning into a stinky, disgusting fish! Turn him into a prince!"

The goldfish looked alarmed (granted, it's hard to tell when a fish is alarmed. You kind of have to know what to look for). "I don't want to be human again! Getting turned into a fish was the best thing that's ever happened to me! You have to become a fish!"

"NO!" Clarence snarled. "I refuse to spend the rest of my life as something that people consider tasty! I came here to be a queen, and I am going to be a queen, and you are going to have to become a human!!!"

"Look, sister!" the goldfish snarled back. "This is my castle, it's my throne, we're going to do things my way!"

"You're clearly delusional." Clarence scoffed. "Let me give you a hint - I am always right! You're going to do things my way, and you're going to LIKE IT, or I'll turn you into fish sticks!"

The arguing continued. The poor wizard tried to keep up, his wand at the ready for when the decision came. Finally, though, he realized that there might never be an end to this argument, so he just did what he thought was best. He crossed his fingers, closed his eyes, and waved his wand.

BANG!

The room was filled with smoke. Coughing, the wizard waved his arms, trying to clear the air. He squinted his eyes, trying to see what he'd done to the bickering couple.

Clarence was gone. All that was left where she had been standing was a pile of clothes. The wizard sighed. That wasn't what he'd hoped for at all (at least, not consciously).

He looked next toward the aquarium, to see what had become of his master.

Where the Beast (but not really) had been, there were two creatures. One had broad shoulders, a strong chest and arms, golden hair, and wide blue eyes. The other had raven hair, dark eyes, and looked just like Clarence! It was her! Apparently he hadn't killed her, after all! But wait...

Where their legs should have been, they had shimmering, scaly fish tails.

The wizard blinked his eyes furiously, trying to clear them. Was he seeing this right? He had turned them into creatures that were half human, half fish!

Well, thought the wizard, I suppose that's one way to solve the problem.

**********

The wizard drove the Prince and Clarence to the seashore, where he lowered them into the water. The couple had decided that they were actually perfect for one another, and that since they were now both designed for life underwater, they may as well claim the sea as their kingdom. They left the castle, and all of its fish decor, to the wizard.

Clarence and her prince lived many years in the ocean, and populated it with multitudes of mer-people (as they called themselves). They ruled over their kingdom joyfully, squabbling and fighting constantly, until one fateful day, when the Prince and Clarence were having a particularly colorful argument. Their shouts and insults woke up a great white shark, who had been dozing comfortably after a long night of swimming and chewing things. Cranky that his slumber had been interrupted, he decided to chew on them.

With Clarence and the Prince finally gone, the rest of the merpeople lived happily, and peacefully, ever after.

The End




2 comments:

Kristi Hirschi said...

That was great, Cassie! Love it

Cass said...

Thanks! Glad someone (besides Ben, who had no choice) read it, finally. :D