Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The Other Side

It being Christmas Eve today, and the first one that my little family has had with just the three of us, things have been a little crazy around here. Evie's finally old enough to start understanding and participating in all the holiday stuff, so I've been trying really hard to make it special for her.

I never understood before how much hard work goes into making these holiday memories. Growing up, it was all blissful anticipation. We woke up on Christmas Eve, watched holiday specials, sang carols, and waited for the evening's festivities to begin. When dinnertime finally came around, we would gather at the table. We would open a new ornament (one for each of us) before eating, and put them on the Christmas tree. Then we'd eat ham, cheesy potatoes, bread, and a veggie of some kind (lately, green bean casserole). Cheesecake was dessert. After dinner, we'd sing carols together. Then we'd read the nativity story from the Bible. When that was over, we'd open one gift each (pajamas) and go change. We'd come back and set our stockings out in the living room so all of our things would be separated. Then we'd rush off to bed, eager for Christmas morning. I was an active participant in all of this, and I enjoyed every moment of it fully, but I think I took it all for granted. In the magic of the holiday, it never occurred to me how hard my mom and dad must be working behind the scenes to make everything perfect for the family.

Now it's my turn, and I finally understand how hard a job it really is. I've been spending the week getting all the ingredients I need to make the dinner and dessert. I had to buy and wrap the ornaments we're opening, as well as the pajamas. I went online and tried to find illustrations of the different parts of the Nativity story, so we can tell it to Evie in a way that will capture her interest and attention. Now that it's the day of, I've been trying to juggle all the cooking so everything will be hot and ready at the same time. On top of all that, Evie's had a mild stomach bug today, so she's been puking (although not since this morning, thankfully, it seems to have passed) and we've had to clean up her pajamas, bedding, stuffed animals, and everything else she threw up on. And she's had three baths. It's been crazy. But I'm still hoping that it will be just as magical and wonderful for Evie as it's always been for me.

I have to say, it really makes me appreciate my mom and dad. It's harder to feel the magic when you're the ones making it happen. It's a little lonely, being on the other side of the festivities, making the family's traditions work out so beautifully. You don't get to feel the pure joy of the day, when your mind is crowded with all the little details. My mom and dad have sacrificed themselves every Christmas for the past 20-something years, just so my siblings and I could be as full of the holiday spirit as possible. They make minor miracles occur, every year. I've never properly thanked them for that.

Thank you, Mom and Dad. You've always been the miracle workers behind the details of Christmas. You always made it wonderful. You always made it special. I finally understand (to some extent, anyway) the sacrifices you've made for me at Christmastime. Those childhood memories are ones that I'll always treasure, thanks to you. I love you.

Merry Christmas.

No comments: