Friday, December 5, 2008

Ooooooklahoma!

This is our third day in Oklahoma, and I've finally gotten the stupid state song out of my head. For now.

For those who don't know, we don't get to move into our new home until January, so for now we're in a tiny apartment in temporary housing. I'm completely bummed that we're spending Christmas here without any of our belongings, but I'm very grateful I packed our presents in the car instead of on the moving truck (the contents of which won't be seen until we move in January).

We bought a little four-foot tree and decorated it, and hung some cheap stockings across the curtains over our one window. I even found a little Mary, Joseph and baby Jesus to put out as a decoration. I'm really sad I don't get to use the beautiful hand-painted Nativity my Mom made for me last year. Since it was a Christmas gift last year, it is as yet unused.

Anyway, maybe it will shape up to be one of those inspirational little "we don't have much" Christmases that they write about in Chicken Soup for the Soul. We'll see.

On another note, did you know that they've come out with New York Cheesecake Hershey Kisses? They're chocolate on the outside, with cheesecake cream on the inside. They're surprisingly good, I might add. Most of Hershey's recent ambitions in the Kiss world have been pretty dreadful, so this might change things. On the other hand, if you don't like cheesecake (or if you're a really picky cheesecake connoisseur) you might be disappointed.

We're also getting a kitten when we move in January. We've already been to the shelter to play with them twice, and it was awesome. I was left alone in the room with all 5 of them for a few minutes yesterday, and I became a kitty playground. I had them attacking my shoelaces and the strings on my jacket, purring loudly. They were so adorable. It makes me want to take all of them home. But then I'd be one tragedy away from becoming a crazy cat lady, so maybe we'll just stick with getting one. They're so cute, though. I can see how the people at the shelter would be heartbroken when they can't get one of the kittens adopted. There's one they currently have that's been there for a few years (a cat, now, not a kitten anymore). She's apparently really sweet, and they're so sad that they can't find her a home.

It makes me want to adopt kids, too, since orphans are in similar situations, but let's face it - that's WAY more expensive than adopting a cat, and the cat is stretching our budget. But maybe Mom and Dad can mail me an orphan from Kenya (I'M TOTALLY KIDDING!!! IT'S A JOKE!!!).

Anyway, that's my life up to date. And that's all I have to say about that.

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

No way, man. Mom already said they'd mail us an orphan.

Cass said...

Yeah she said she was gonna send one to you two, but I told her that you guys aren't in a position to take care of a kid right now, what with school and all. So we get it instead! AHAHAHAHAH! You'll just have to make one yourselves. :D

Cass said...

A baby, not an orphan. I don't want you killing some poor kid's parents so you can adopt him/her. That would be wrong. And against the Honor Code... :P (j/k!)