Friday, December 14, 2012

Elementary School Shooting

I just turned on the TV and saw a news report that someone had shot up an elementary school in Connecticut. 

I'm so sick about it. I'm sitting here, picturing the children I see at Evie's elementary school every day. All those little, innocent faces. And I can't help but cry. Even though it wasn't my daughter's elementary school, it WAS someone's child's elementary school. And the report says that at least 20 people, at least 10 of them children, were killed. Some reports say the count is as high as 27 people. That's the biggest death toll for a school shooting here in America, ever.

Why target children? What is the point of that??? Even obnoxious kids have more goodness and innocence in them than most adults. And of all people, they're the least able to defend themselves. Hurting children HAS to be a golden ticket straight to hell. 

I don't know who the shooter was, or what his motivation might have been. I don't care. No reason justifies doing something like this. 

Every day I send my daughter to school. I rarely think about the inherent danger of having her away from me. The vast majority of people go through the school system without having any kind of tragic incident like this. It's rare. But it does happen. 

Is it enough for me to pull Evie out of school and home-school her? No. She loves school, she has friends there, and she's thriving. Am I worried when she's away from me? Yes. But I trust in God that He'll keep her safe. And if He doesn't, if something does happen, I know God will help me get through it. But I'm pretty confident it won't be something I have to experience personally. 

Today, though, there are families out there who have suffered this tragedy. There are families who sent their kids to school this morning, and won't see them again in this life. Those families must be living in a nightmare right now. My heart and prayers go out to them. I can only imagine what pain they must be feeling. 

And I pray that the little ones involved are able to get the counseling and the help that they need, so they can move on from this terrifying experience. 

And I pray that their Christmases will still be as joyful and peaceful as possible. What a particularly terrible time of year for such a horrifying thing to happen. Hopefully God can bring the children the comfort they and their families so desperately need. 

No comments: