Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Day!

This is my final thanksgiving blog of the year, and it's going to be a biggie! I probably won't go into a lot of details on each entry, but I'm going to write 22 things that I'm thankful for - one for each day of the month I didn't write in my blog. These are all in completely random order, and aren't all necessarily the things that I'm absolutely the most grateful for. They're basically just what came to mind as I was writing. Anyway, let's begin!

1 - Priesthood blessings. Priesthood blessings have given me so much comfort throughout my struggle with infertility. I feel so much closer to God when I get a blessing. I also would probably still be in agonizing pain from my sinus infection if not for the priesthood blessing Ben gave me. These blessings have real power, and I'm thankful that I can receive them.

2 - White chocolate molten cake. You get it at Chili's, and it's A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! They put ice cream on top, and drizzle the whole thing with raspberry sauce. It's heaven on a plate. Although you can't finish one by yourself (at least, I know I can't). Also, it can make you fat.

3 - Unexpected opportunities that just fall in your lap. I'm currently teaching piano and/or voice lessons to 5 students, most of which I didn't even approach initially. The parents of the students saw from church that I sing and play the piano, and asked if I taught lessons. I hadn't before, but I'd always wanted to, so I decided to go for it. Now I have 5 students! It's amazing. The extra money isn't a ton, but it helps a lot with meeting our needs. It's especially welcome this time of year with Christmas coming up.

4 - Tivo. Hello! Best invention ever! I don't have to watch commercials anymore, and I can record two shows at a time so that I don't have to pick which one to watch. Plus, I can record movies and put them on DVDs. Awesome.

5 - The scriptures. I've been reading every day for the past several months, trying to establish a lifelong habit. It's been so uplifting. I read first thing in the morning, and the rest of my day is just better. My whole life has had a better feel to it since I started reading my scriptures regularly. I find answers in there, sometimes, that I didn't even realize I was looking for. We're so blessed to have the scriptures. Not enough people realize what we've got, right at our fingertips, if we'll just make the effort to read.

6 - Ben's military career. It's nice knowing that his job is safe from the recession. Being a pilot and a member of the military, he's not going to be fired any time soon. He has at least a 10-year commitment ahead of him, starting after he graduates from pilot training. It's such a relief to know that our income will be steady, especially in this economy. We don't have to stress out about finances and job security to the same degree that most people do.

7 - Glee. It's by far the best new show on television. That I've watched. It's got storylines, dancing, singing, the works! It's so right up my alley, I just love that show. And the music is great! We've already got enough of the music from the show to make a CD. And every week more music comes out. LOVE IT!

8 - America. I know, it's kind of cliche, but I really do love this country. There's not another nation anywhere in the world with the kind of freedoms we enjoy. We're seriously spoiled here. If Americans would just look around, and really notice what people in other places have to deal with, they would probably shut up about how "terrible" America is and realize how blessed they are to live here. I'm just sayin'.

9 - Musical Theater. I love to watch it, I love to listen to it, I love to perform it. There's nothing that warms the heart like a spontaneous song and dance number in the middle of a serious conversation. :)

10 - Quotable movies. That's another thing that warms my heart - having the perfect movie quote for any situation. I love slipping random quotes into conversations, and then watching the look in people's eyes when they realize that there's something familiar about what I just said. The best, of course, is when they get the quote and follow it up with one of their own. For example, when I was in high school we had a dog named Bob. Bob Barker. My mom named him, don't blame me! Anyway, he had a caveman chew toy named "Grunt" that he ripped to shreds in the back yard. Mom sent my brother Andrew and I out to clean up the carnage. As we walked out and surveyed the lawn (and the bits of cotton and loin cloth strewn over it), I said in a sickened voice, "I think this was Grunt." My brother, on the other side of the lawn, replied in a similarly grossed-out voice, "I think this was, too." It was a joyful moment. Seriously, it's been 10 years and I still remember that incident. It was freaking awesome. (For those of you who don't know, we were quoting Jurassic Park. "I think this was Gennaro." "I think this was, too.")

11 - My husband's super-hot body. 'Nuff said.

12 - My camera. I love taking pictures! I'm not that great at it, but my camera is, so the pictures turn out pretty nice. And I love having pictures to look at, they bring back memories and make me all mushy and nostalgic. Aww. :)

13 - Pixar. Their movies are the best family movies made these days. No other family film company has anything like the same kind of quality and humor that Pixar does. I appreciate that I can take my daughter to a Pixar movie and know that we'll both have a fantastic time.

14 - Mascara. I don't think I could live without the stuff. I mean, I could live, of course. But would I want to?

15 - Dressing up. I always feel like a supermodel when I dress up. Yes, I know I'm not tall, skinny, or exotic. Shut up. I can feel like a supermodel if I want to! Anyway, any chance to put on a gorgeous dress, style my hair all fancy, and wear sparkly jewelry is a chance I'll jump at! In fact, I'm looking forward to just such an occasion coming up in a few months. Part of Ben's graduation from pilot training is a fancy, formal party. Granted, I'll be about 6 1/2 months pregnant at the time, but hopefully I'll still get that "supermodel" feeling. I bought a dress yesterday, and I think it will be beautiful. Fingers crossed!

16 - Deep conversations. As long as we're not talking about touchy subjects that make tempers flair, I enjoy using my brain in a conversation. Hypotheticals are always a good topic, as are ethics. My geek side doesn't come out often, but here it is, folks. I enjoy good conversations that make me think. I'll bet you never suspected it, huh?

17 - Sleeves. Sleeves are seriously underrated. I'm thrilled that they're coming back in style, specifically on dresses. It's nice not having to wear a t-shirt under my dress at church. I just wish they'd put more sleeves on evening gowns. Seriously, folks, most women do not have super skinny, toned biceps. Why put flabby arms on display when you're trying to look your absolute best?

18 - Listening to children sing in Primary. I literally cry half the time. Okay, maybe it's more like a quarter of the time. But my point is, little kids can bring the spirit into a room better than just about anybody when they sing. There's nothing quite so touching as listening to a room full of children sing proudly, "I am a child of God" or "I know my Father lives!" It's a beautiful thing.

19 - Cell phones. I don't know how I survived before cell phones. I can't go anywhere without one, because I just know that if I don't have my phone, something horrible will happen and I'll have a difficult time getting a hold of anyone to help. They're also a blessing because I can keep in touch with my family more easily. I can call then anywhere, anytime. Since I don't get to see them in person that often, I'm really grateful for my cell phone.

20 - Good books. There is nothing, I repeat, nothing like a good book to relax the mind. I love getting carried away in a story. They're better than any other form of entertainment, if you ask me, because you have to use your imagination. When you're picturing the story in your mind, it forms to your personal experiences and tastes which makes it all the more engrossing. You can also see into the minds of the characters when you read, something which is difficult to do through TV and movies. Also, reading makes you look smart!

21 - Jacuzzi tubs. How awesome are they?! Baths are the best, but most bathtubs I've had in my lifetime have been too shallow to really be effective for relaxation. Jacuzzi tubs are perfect, because they're deeper and they make bubbles! Ben and I have already decided that when we finally settle down in one place and buy a house, it has to have at least one jacuzzi tub, preferably in the master bathroom where we don't have to share with our kids. :) That's not to say we won't let them use it, just that we'll have permanent dibs. The only thing better than a jacuzzi tub is having a book to read while you're soaking in the tub! Ahhhh....

22 - Last but not least, I'm thankful for holidays! This time of year, especially, is great for holiday cheer. Christmas truly is the very best time of year, and I think Thanksgiving is the perfect way to usher in the Christmas season. Christmas is about Christ, and since we start the whole season off with a day of counting our blessings and giving thanks, it helps get us into the proper mindset to celebrate Christmas. Other holidays are fun, too, but this time of year is my very favorite.

That's all, folks! I've really enjoyed writing these, and I hope you've enjoyed reading them. Keep in mind that there are tons of things that I'm grateful for that I didn't mention this week. That doesn't mean that I'm not thankful for them. It just means that I can't possibly list everything. I know a lot of the stuff mentioned in this post may even seem a little trivial (white chocolate molten cake certainly can seem that way if you haven't experienced it yourself), and a lot of it probably is. But we should count all of our blessings, not just the big ones, right?

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: