Thursday, March 19, 2009

Vampires = Us?

So I'm reading the Twilight series again, and I was thinking about the way Stephenie Meyer describes the vampires. They look like they did as humans, only they're perfect and therefore insanely beautiful. They don't age. They can run, leap, swim, etc. with impossible endurance. They've accumulated decades of intelligence, learning just about everything there is to know.

Meyer, like me, is LDS. So it occurred to me that she might be basing her vampire descriptions, ever so slightly, on what we may (possibly) become after the resurrection. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this is doctrine or that this is for sure what she's doing. It just strikes me that there are similarities, at least to my understanding of what we will be like in the next life.

The way I understand it, once we're resurrected we'll be physically perfect versions of our best selves. Like I said, this is just my conception of things, I could be completely wrong. But that's how I always imagined it. We wouldn't age, physically. Our learning would continually increase. And I always pictured that, being in perfect physical condition, we'd be able to run and swim without getting tired. I also pictured that, as we learned and grew, we might someday be able to defy the laws of physics in some ways. I've always dreamed of being able to fly someday. I don't know if it's possible, but if it is, I plan to learn how. All my favorite dreams have involved flying. I know, Meyer's vampires don't fly, but running at ridiculous speeds is probably just as exhilarating.

Anyway, maybe I'm completely off-base with all this, but there do seem to be a lot of similarities between the Twilight vampires and (in my mind, at least) the way we'll all be after the resurrection. Granted, we don't be drinking blood or fighting with werewolves, but I think overall I'm okay with that. :)

4 comments:

Andre Terrific said...

If I don't get to fight werewolves, then it's not heaven.

Ashley and Zane said...

Definately something to think about!!! I love the Twilight series. Aren't you just in love with Edward?! He seems pretty dreamy. Imagine if we could have all sat on my bed in college and talked about him!! The movie comes to DVD this weekend, I am super excited.

Cass said...

Andrew, you crack me up. Ashley - heck yes! These books needed to come out years earlier. I'm excited about the movie, too, even though I thought it was only okay when I saw it. I think it's because I'm reading the books again. :)

The Dally Llama said...

I sure hope I don't turn into a sparkly girl-boy. But that's just me.