Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Memory

The Hale in Salt Lake is doing Scarlet Pimpernel again this year, and I wish SO BAD that I could be in it. I was in it the last time they did it, in '04 (I think), and it was insanely cool. They have a million dollar stage at the Hale. It rotates, and raises up and lowers (all together, or in pieces). They used the actual Broadway costumes, which were ridiculously beautiful and extremely expensive. The ball gowns had gold stitched into them, and were worth about a thousand dollars each. The show itself is fun to be in, too. I was in the women's ensemble (as most girls were, there were only 2 female non-ensemble parts), and while normally that wouldn't be too exciting, in this case it was great. We were in almost every scene. We did a lot of dancing, singing, escaping from revolutionaries, crying in prison cells, etc. I had about 10 costumes. The theater itself is very classy, too. I remember walking in for my audition and being intimidated. Why would such a gorgeous theater want me in their show, especially such a popular show that LOTS of people want to be a part of? But they did cast me (which in and of itself is apparently a big deal - I was told that most people have to audition 2 or 3 times for shows at the Hale before they get cast in something)! And Pimpernel broke all their previous sales records. It was an amazing spectacle, and it was an honor to be a part of it. I don't know that I've ever had more fun in a show, ever.

One of the most amazing things about doing Pimpernel, though, was that some of the leadership of the Church came to see it. Granted, for a non-member, it's not a big deal, but for me it was amazing. I actually embarassed myself in front of Elder Ballard and his wife. They were sneaking out for intermission early, to avoid crowds. The ensemble was about to make an entrance to sing in the end of "The Riddle", and we were waiting in the hallway. While we were waiting, I was kind of bored, so I was mouthing the words and doing a sort of interpretive dance to the music for the amusement of my friends in the cast. It was pretty goofy. I turned around, and Elder and Sister Ballard were standing right there, watching me. Sister Ballard looked like she was trying not to laugh, and Elder Ballard was looking at me like I was nuts. I was so embarassed! My first thought was, "I hope he doesn't bring this up in General Conference." Not that he would have any reason to, but I wasn't thinking too clearly. Nowadays, I just find the memory of it highly entertaining.

The coolest thing, though, was that Preident Monson came to see it. He wasn't the President of the Church at the time, just the first counselor in the Presidency ("JUST" the first counselor...), but still. It was electrifying to be onstage, performing, knowing that he was watching me. A man who has spoken to God, a man whose counsel I try to live by, a man who I love and respect but have never had the honor to actually MEET, watched me perform! And now he's our prophet, just like Moses and Abraham back in the day. It's such an incredible honor to say that I've performed for him. He couldn't pick me out of a line-up, I know, but that doesn't matter. It's still a memory that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

All in all, being part of Pimpernel was one of the best things I've ever done. It's a sweet memory, and I wish more than just about anything that I could do it again. I'm so jealous of all the people who are going to be in it this year. They're going to have the time of their lives.

2 comments:

Kristi Hirschi said...

I love the story of Elder Ballard! That makes me laugh. And how awesome for you to be able to perform for him and President Monson!! Wow!

Ashley and Zane said...

I remember seeing you in that play. You did a great job. It was also en excellent play!