Monday, May 24, 2010

Let's Pep Things Up!

Okay, that last blog was depressing. I apologize. It was really just one of those days. There's probably a grain of truth to it all, but I really shouldn't have made things sound so dire. There's no nobler calling in the world than being a mother and a wife. Especially being a mother. Just think what a better place the world would be if every child was raised in a loving, supportive home and taught hard work and respect? The world would be well on its way to harmony and peace, I'll tell you that right now. We could solve all the world's problems if that were the case. Saying otherwise, even just when venting my feelings on a blog, is doing motherhood a huge disservice. So, I apologize.

I also need to apologize to my husband. I didn't realize, when writing that blog entry, that he would be portrayed as indifferent, lazy, or entitled. He's not any of those things. All I meant when I said that he could relax and I couldn't was that Evie lets him relax! lol! Seriously, he tries hard to keep her out of my hair when I'm taking a break, but it's difficult. I'm so tuned in to her that my ears have super-hearing when it comes to Evie. I can hear her whining, crying, yelling, etc. even when she's in a different part of the house - and I can hear what she's fussing about. Frequently, it's because she wants me. I'll let Ben handle it a lot of the time, but if she's getting to the point where she's having a meltdown I feel obligated to get up and take care of things. Ben can handle it, but I feel like it's part of my job as the mom to do what I can for my child, even if that means I don't get a lot of down time. Ben does a lot of the chores, too, to make things easier for me, and he even takes Evie out of the house to play sometimes so I can really take a break. He's a gem, that man. Yes, he takes time for himself to read books or play on the computer, but he deserves it. And if I need his help with anything, he puts down whatever he's doing and helps me, no questions asked. I have one of the best husbands in the world, and in my moody, self-absorbed state during the composition of my last blog, I truly didn't see how he would be portrayed by my words. So, Ben, I'm sorry. You're incredible, and I shouldn't have ever made it seem otherwise, even unintentionally.

So! There you have it. Yes, I was having a bad day, but no, most of what I wrote isn't the way things really are. It's an exaggeration. Yes, I wish I had friends to go out with. Yes, I wish I had some sort of hobby that took me out of the house every once in a while. Yes, I sometimes feel like Evie doesn't really need me much anymore, and that my family would be fine without me. Not better off - never that, I know my own worth better than that - but that they would be fine. When I'm in my right frame of mind, though, I see that I'm vitally important to my family's well-being. Ben may be the head of the family, but I'm the heart. All the things I was feeling and expressing had some validity, but not to the extreme that I portrayed. My life is a beautiful one, and I can honestly say that I wouldn't trade it for anything. I might change some things here and there (A lead in a musical in my free time? Yes, please!), but I would never want to give up my position as wife and mother. I love it, and I love my family.
So, there you have it.

And now, for your entertainment (and to further pep things up): Evie and Cassie in a funny hat!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I love the pictures! I like the hat a lot too. Thanks for the encouragement via text the other day...you are one in a million!