Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Crafty Conference

This year during General Conference, I did several crafts. I always do, because it keeps my hands busy so I'm awake and alert, without using so much of my attention that I can't focus on the talks. So I tend to save a lot of my craft ideas for conference time. It is, after 8 hours long all together, so I need plenty to work on.


This year, I decided that I needed more Thanksgiving decorations. I wanted to paint some ceramics, but they're kind of pricey and I didn't know where to find a good ceramic shop. So instead, I bought some foam balls, various colors of felt, and some googley eyes. Along with those, I used some toothpicks and a glue gun to create an adorable Thanksgiving turkey! It was all improvised, so I had to figure out a lot of it myself, but I think it turned out pretty well. I even glued nickels to the bottoms of the feet to give it some weight so it wouldn't tip over easily.


After the turkey, I painted a fun fall wreath for our door. I bought it with the wire already attached and the leaf cutouts already put together, it only needed some paint. I like how it turned out. Fall is my favorite season, and I was wanting something cute to put on our door. Mission: accomplished!


Next I made some new hair bows for Evie. I wanted her to have some plain black ones. I couldn't find ribbon the width that I wanted, but this was good enough. I really love the way the tiny red-and-black ones turned out, though, they're SO cute. In fact, the other day I made some more that same size in purple and pink for a baby shower gift. They're a good size for a baby girl, especially one with lots of hair.


Anyway, that's it for my conference crafts. And conference itself was great, too. I can't wait to get the talks in the Ensign next month, too, so I can go over them and study them. I'm a visual learner, so having them in print is a huge help for me. I love listening to conference, too, though. There's such a strong spirit, and the church leaders we hear from always have so much wisdom to offer.


Now, what am I going to do for my crafts in April....?

2 comments:

Heather said...

Look at you being all crafty! I loved your projects. I need a thing for my door too but I am too chicken to paint it...can I pay for your services? he he. I love to do things during conference too but this year I didn't have much too do and the house was full which can take away crafty time. Oh well next time. Miss you.

elsalgal said...

Beautiful! I did a jigsaw puzzle.